Thursday, March 26, 2009

Joseph Lopez







Hey, this is "Joseph Lopez", which is my official name, but you all probably remember me as Joey and "Joseph Lopez" as the other guy who was named Joseph Lopez at Holmes and then UT. To say the least it got confusing....So where do I begin... Well I am still a pretty big loser... I have been in school for 10 years and I am still trying to finish, the PhD just seem to take that long... I have been married for 5 years to the best wife ever, Corina. I met Corina at UT where we hit it off, after graduating she taught Bi-Lingual Pre-K and 1st grade for 6 years while going to graduate school and is now doing her PhD as well, full time. To say that she puts up with a character is an understatement. I am currently working on my dissertation, "The Anthropologist's Guide to the 21st Century: A look at online and offline car culture in central Texas". Basically I have spend the last year going to street races, drag races, road races, performance shops and tuning hot rods all in the name of academia. I have taken over 20,000 photo's for this project and 10's of hours of video, if not a hundred. It is awesome!(here I am (left), with Stephen (who also went to Holmes), here we were prepping to go out on the race track, to see the video, click here)As for kids, Corina and I do not have any, however, we have six nephews on her side and 4 nieces (with a 5th on the way) on my side. I am pretty much a big kid around my nieces, to say the least I have seen Camp Rock and I like to think I know my way around a Polly Pocket play set.(2008 Halloween)In my "free time" I tend to "make stuff" and do website development. I tend to mix work with play, I am currently working on a book with my professor about "Alternative pedagogy: ACTLab". I promote the idea of ascribing a personal self to your work and giving students positive encouragement/feedback to achieve their project ideas. Here are a few pictures of the lab I teach in:(A graphics's based project presentation)(a performance based presentation)I try to make a yearly pilgrimage back to Holmes and go talk to classes about life and college, here is a pic of my last visit to John Carrera's computer class, the campus seems to always be changing, yet staying the same:So yeah, that is basically what I am up to. If you made it down this far the post and want to find out more, check out my blog at Mygeekylife.comI look forward to seeing you all soon.Joey

No comments: